Thursday, July 21, 2011

Let me give you some perspective


Recently, my step-mom Margot sent me this quote from Ansel Adams last interview. She said that it reminded her of my photographic method...and I tend to agree. What do you think?

'I think of Alfred Stieglitz's definition of photography - a paraphrase of what I heard him say many times. In the earlier days, when people were very scornful of what he called "creative photography" or "photography as art," they would ask: "Mr. Stieglitz, how do you go about making the creative photograph?" He would answer, "When I have a desire to photograph, I go out in the world with my camera. I come across something that excites me emotionally and esthetically. I'm creatively excited. I see the picture in my mind's eye and I make the exposure and I give you the print as the equivalent of what I saw and felt." The word "equivalent" is very important. It's two things - what is seen and what is felt about it. That's why the naturalistic element in photography is very important. When you intentionally depart from the natural situation you can get into trouble. Unless you depart far enough.'

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally and how nice to be in such esteemed company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this picture is worth those thousand words!

    ReplyDelete